Posted on May 28, 2018

Ministry of Economy and Commerce has asked shops and commercial complexes operating in the country to remove all goods imported from blockading countries (Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Bahrain, and Egypt) from the shelves with immediate effect.

The inspectors of the Consumer Protection Department at the Ministry will visit shops and commercial complexes across the country to ensure the said goods were removed.

The instruction was made in a circular dated May 26, 2018, from  Assistant Undersecretary for the Consumer Protection Affairs at the Ministry of Economy and Commerce, Sheikh Jassim bin Jabor Al Thani to all shops and commercial complexes. Most retail outlets in Qatar, acting promptly on the Ministry’s order, could be seen already removing all the goods, including some perishable food products, from their shelves. Enquires with several leading traders, and hypermarkets suggested that they had very little stocks of goods as they were dealing with a very limited number of items sourced from the blockading states. The traders, after the imposition of the siege in early June last year, started exploring and importing goods from alternative destinations.

“First of all we did not have much stock of items from the blockading countries, and whatever we have had, are already removed from the shelves,” said a manager of a popular food centre. He added: “Most of the goods that were formerly imported from the siege countries are now sourced from Turkey, India, Pakistan, Oman Kuwait and other countries, at competitive prices." Replying question on the possible losses, another senior official at a hypermarket, said: “We will return these goods to the traders and suppliers. What they will do with it is not our concern.

source: The Peninsula

Categories: