W Doha Hotel & Residences, the first luxury lifestyle hotel in Qatar, todays announces the launch of the mobile, keyless room entry in the Middle East. The SPG Keyless is part of a global Starwood Preferred Guest® (SPG®) initiative, which made its official debut this week in 10 hotels in markets including Beijing, Hong Kong, New York, Los Angeles and Doha. It’s a mobile office. It’s a virtual wallet. It’s a lifeline. And now, it’s a hotel room key. Today, the smartphone will get a whole lot smarter – especially while on the road. SPG the award-winning loyalty program from Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE: HOT), has introduced the hospitality industry’s first mobile, keyless entry system allowing guests to use their smartphone as a key.
SPG Keyless is a ground-breaking turning point in the traditional hotel experience, redefining the age-old way guests arrive and check-in to their rooms. SPG Keyless – powered by the SPG app – enables guests to bypass the front desk (where available), go directly to their room and unlock their stay with a simple tap of their smartphone. “Not only does SPG Keyless alleviate a perennial pain point for travelers, but it also transforms the first interaction with our guests from one that is transactional to something more personal,” said Frits van Paasschen, Starwood’s President & Chief Executive Officer. “This is just the beginning, because through mobile we have the opportunity to marry high tech and high touch to transform the hotel experience in many exciting ways.”
HOW IT WORKS
- SPG Members must register their phone once through the SPG App and allow push notifications.
- After booking a reservation at a keyless hotel and approximately 24 hours before arrival, SPG members are invited to opt-in to SPG Keyless.
- Guests will receive a push notification noting that they are checked in and the SPG App will update with his/her room number and Bluetooth key when the room is ready.
- Upon arrival at the hotel, the guest can completely bypass the front desk (where available) and go directly to his/her room.
- After ensuring his/her Bluetooth is enabled, the guest simply opens the SPG App, holds the smartphone to the door lock, waits for the solid green light and enters the room.
SPG Keyless is an evolution of Starwood’s Smart Check-In, another industry-first that debuted at Aloft hotels in 2011, allowing guests to bypass traditional check-in and access their rooms with a RFID-equipped key card. Building upon those early learnings to develop SPG Keyless, Starwood tapped the world’s largest lock manufacturer, Assa Abloy, to create an all-new, Bluetooth-enabled lock as well as keyless software, which are designed to securely recognize and connect with a guest’s mobile device.
In addition to the aggressive keyless rollout schedule, Starwood is simultaneously piloting innovations for the next wave of upgrades to the SPG App, which will support and enhance SPG Keyless. These upgrades aim to not only empower guests to control aspects of their stay, but equip hotel associates with the tools they need to continue Starwood’s legacy of personalization and provide meaningful, custom services away from the front desk.
For further information please visit: http://www.whoteldoha.com/. Book at whoteldoha.com or call +974 44535343.