Posted on June 25, 2014

With the onset of summer, Hamad Medical Corporation (HMC) has advised residents to remember to take the necessary precautions when dealing with pesticides and insect repellents. Many household products contain harmful pesticides, including cockroach sprays and baits, rat and other rodent poisons. Other common products like flea and tick sprays, powders and pet collars, kitchen, laundry, and bath disinfectants and sanitizers, some garden products, such as weed killers and some swimming pool chemicals may also include pesticides.

Senior Consultant in the Emergency Department at Hamad General Hospital (HGH), Dr. Saad Abdulfattah Al Nuaimi has provided some recommendations when using pesticides of different kinds. “It is important to remember that although pesticides are beneficial in some ways, they also have drawbacks, such as potential toxicity. This intoxication may result from intentional, accidental and occupational exposures,” he said.

“People can be exposed to pesticides in three ways: inhalation exposure (inhaling pesticide), dermal exposure (absorbing pesticides through the skin), and oral exposure (getting pesticides in their mouth or digestive tract),” Dr. Al Nuami added. He cautioned that individuals should be particularly careful when using products with pesticides. “The health effect of the pesticide can reflect on the brain and nervous system, on the hormone or endocrine system in the body and can also cause some fertility problems. In addition, studies have shown pesticides may increase the risk of different kinds of cancers,” he warned.

"The most important step is to always read the pesticide label. The directions on the label are there primarily to help you achieve maximum benefits – the kind of pest control you desire – with minimum risk," he noted. “Pesticide labels typically include an Environment Protection Agency (EPA) registration number. This means that the EPA has reviewed the product and determined it can be used with minimal or low risk if directions are followed as stated,” he said.

HMC cautions residents over 2 [].jpgAccording to Dr. Al Nuaimi, other things to look for include: ingredients statement or list of active ingredients, signal words such as CAUTION (least harmful), WARNING (harmful), or DANGER (most harmful). He mentioned that label warnings could also recommend the kind of protective clothing you should wear, such as gloves or goggles. They may also tell you to keep children and pets away from areas treated with pesticides, as well as indicate environmental hazards the pesticide may cause.

"Always remember to read the label to make sure that the product is used only against the pest(s) it is specified for on the label; only use the amount that is recommended and also know the first aid instructions mentioned in case of emergency," Dr. Al Nuaimi noted. Removing contact lenses before handling pesticides and washing one's body rigorously, and cleaning under the fingernails, immediately after pesticide use, is highly recommended. "Never eat, drink, or smoke when handling pesticides and wear personal protective equipment (PPE) where required," Dr. Al Nuaimi advised.

"Purchase only the amount of pesticide that can be used within a short period of time, or for one application. Also be careful with storage – pesticides must be stored in original containers with original labels intact to ensure that the pesticide is used for its intended purpose. Containers should be stored in areas set aside for pesticides. Never store them with other items and check regularly for leaks, tears, rust or loose lids," he suggested.

In emergency situations, where a person is unconscious, having trouble breathing or having convulsions, speed is crucial so Dr. Al Nuaimi recommended that people act fast. "Give the needed first aid immediately. Call an ambulance at 999. If possible, have someone else make the call while you give first aid."