Posted on January 26, 2018

Qatar's preparations for the 2022 soccer World Cup are fully on track after its fixed supply lines briefly disrupted last year by a blockade by its Gulf neighbours, its foreign minister told Reuters.

H E Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister, said Qatar's economy was now growing much faster than anticipated and the huge gas exporter was well prepared to withstand the crisis in relations with its neighbours.

He also said the country was still counting on strong support from US President Donald Trump to help solve the crisis and has filed legal complaints with Western regulators against what it sees as its currency and market manipulations by neighbours. "We are confident we will host the best World Cup in the Arab world. It will represent the whole Arab region," Sheikh Mohammed said in an interview during the World Economic Forum in Davos. "The government has already overcome the disruptions which happened to supplies at the beginning of the crisis and we have introduced alternative routes. There is no disruption at the moment," he said, adding he had heard no signals from FIFA that it was planning to change the venue of the World Cup.

read more here

Categories: